1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 cups cooked)
1.5 cups ricotta cheese (I will tell you I’m not a fan of this cheese and now leave it out of the recipe which cut calories and it’s even better in my opinion!)
1 large egg
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1.5 cups marinara sauce
4 cups spinach (baby spinach works well)
1/4 cup part-skim Mozzarella cheese
1/8 fresh parmesan cheese
Garnish: red pepper flakes, fresh tomatoes sliced or grape tomatoes
1.Slice spaghetti squash in half, remove seeds, & bake with the flesh side down for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
(using leftover spaghetti squash speeds the prep!)
2.Run a fork through the spaghetti squash to create strands and throw away the exterior once the insides have been removed.
3. Combine the ricotta (if you use it) with the egg, basil, oregano, and garlic.
4. Begin layering by placing 1/2 cup of marinara on the bottom of a greased 8X8 dish.
5. Continue layering with the strands of squash, then a bit of the ricotta mix, then a heavy layer of spinach.
6. Follow with a think layer of Mozzarella cheese.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 as many times as you have ingredients.
8. For the top, add in more parmesan, a light sprinkle of almond meal and or seasoned bread crumbs.
9. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes (until bubbling).