This is absolutely one of my favorite recipes…but I ad lib frequently with what is on hand. And, in order to make more, I double the cauliflower portions, which decreases the net calories. Win/win!
2 cups cooked cauliflower (I use FOUR!)
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/2 cup onion minced (onion powder works in a pinch)
3 tbsp. minced fresh parsley (this isn’t a deal breaker if you don’t have it on hand!)
1/2 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar grated (again, I also like the kick from pepper jack so often mix the two)
1/2 seasoned breadcrumbs
a tad of minced garlic or tsp of garlic powder is nice
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook your cauliflower florets in a little water covered for 4-5 minutes or until tender, then drain well and blot dry with a paper towel. Then place in a bowl and gently cut it into much smaller pieces and set it aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400 and spray a nonstick bookie tray. (or use parchment paper)
3. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture and mold into small ovals in your hand. You can also use a small ice cream or cookie scoop.
5. Bake 16-20 minutes, turning halfway through, and bake until golden and slightly crispy.
And THEN, enjoy some of the best tasting, guilt free “tots” that you’ve had in a while!